The purpose of the University Scholars Program is to introduce University of Florida undergraduate students to the exciting opportunities of working closely with UF faculty to pursue fundamental research and scholarly activities, thereby gaining valuable insight into how new knowledge is created and developed and how existing knowledge is focused on important problems.
This program will permit selected undergraduate students, who will be designated as University Scholars, to work one-on-one with a chosen faculty member on a research/creative project of mutual interest. From such interaction, the student will take away an understanding of and appreciation for the scholarly method, an experience that will be invaluable in many career opportunities, including graduate and professional schools. Students in all areas of undergraduate studies are encouraged to apply.
Approximately 200University Scholar awards will be made annually across the participating colleges. Students are not restricted to their own colleges in seeking out faculty mentors. Students should submit applications to their faculty mentors' departments by thje due date listed on the Colleges links.
Dates and Deadlines
New Scholars (2013-2014)
- Sept. 6, 2013: Deadline to complete online project description, scholar profile and upload photo
- September 13th, 2013: Stipend 1 ($750.00) disbursed to all USP Scholars
- October 18, 2013: Mid Semester Survey due
- January 10, 2014: Florida Opportunity Scholars disbursement form due for FOS Scholars only
- January 17th, 2014: Stipend 2 ($1000) disbursed to Florida Opportunity Schoalrs ONLY
- Feb. 28, 2013: Mid Semester Survey due
- March 7, 2014: Deadline to apply for the Best Paper Award
- March 14, 2014: UF Research Symposium Abstracts due
- March 27, 22014: UF Research Symposium
- April 11, 2014: Deadline to meet the research paper requirement
- May 1, 2014: Stipend 2 ($1000) disbursed to USP Scholars who are not FLorida Opportunity Scholars